We produce Memphis' best local content in our legacy print and digital products: Memphis magazine, The Memphis Flyer, Memphis Parent, and Inside Memphis Business. We craft that content for every medium: web, print, email, tablet, and social media.
+ SENIOR MULTIMEDIA EXECUTIVE
Contemporary Media Inc., locally owned and operated publisher of Memphis magazine, the Memphis Flyer, and Memphis Parent, is looking for a full-time, motivated salesperson to join our team.
Must have proven sales experience, excellent communication skills (both written and oral), and be a self-starter. Candidate must be highly organized and able to thrive in a high volume, fast-paced, and team-oriented environment. Passion for local media is a must. Knowledge of the Memphis market is a plus.This is a strong opportunity, with ample growth potential, for a personable self-starter. An account list will be provided, but a high level of prospecting for new business is essential.
- Print, digital, and event sponsorship selling experience
- High-level cold-calling capabilities
- Negotiation skills
- High competency in MS Office and/or Google Drive products
- Ability to communicate effectively to a large group
- Compensation package commensurate with experience, plus paid company benefits
Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
No phone calls please.
+ NEWS REPORTER, MEMPHIS FLYER
The Memphis Flyer is a locally owned and operated alternative newsweekly now in its fourth
decade of asking questions, sharing stories, and keeping our community informed. The Flyer
seeks a curious and focused journalist who aims to make Memphis a better place. The reporter
will conduct research, interview sources, and write engaging stories to inform, captivate, and
grow our audience in the Flyer’s weekly print publication and on its daily website. The
successful candidate is self-motivated, a clear communicator, and dedicated to producing high
quality, original local journalism.
- Staying up-to-date on current events in Memphis to predict and cover rising news stories
- Collecting, verifying, and analyzing newsworthy information through strong digital
- Strong writing skills and the ability to convey clear, concise information to the Flyer
- Keeping an open mind to tell stories you won’t find in other Memphis media
- Understanding of basic AP Style and the ability to adapt to the Memphis Flyer style guide
- Interacting professionally, building a network of sources within the community, and
- Shooting digital photos and videos on a smartphone
- Meeting weekly and daily story deadlines
- Evaluating leads
- Pitching story ideas to editors
- Revising and editing work for editorial approval
- Collaborating with other reporters, editors, and production staff
- Taking photographs and recording video and audio
- Analyzing facts and information to determine the most effective way to tell a story
- Abiding by journalistic ethics
- A creative and inquiring mind
- The ability to gather, write, and edit news
- Knowledge of current affairs in Memphis and of the Memphis media landscape
- Computer proficiency (word processing, web search, database search, photo and file
- Excellent communication and active listening skills
- Integrity, morality, and grit
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- 1-2 years relevant experience
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran
status, or any other characteristic protected by law. People of color, women, LGBTQ candidates,
and others from groups underrepresented in the publishing community are strongly encouraged
To apply, please send a letter of introduction, resume, portfolio (links to digital stories are fine),
and 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
CMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.